Dr Athol Klieve
Associate Professor in Agricultural Microbiology, School of Agriculture and Food Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Queensland
Doctor of Philosophy, University of New England,
Master of Rural Science, University of New England,
Bachelor of Agricultural Science, The University of Adelaide
At UNE he completed his Master’s degree on the development of poultry vaccines, PhD on bacterial viruses of rumen bacteria and 5 years post-doc on the genetic manipulation of rumen bacteria.
Dr Klieve joined DAFF Qld in 1993 and UQ in 2009, he now heads a collaborative UQ/DAFF Qld research team of 10 staff and students. His current research portfolio includes a number of projects investigating the reduction of emissions of the greenhouse gas methane from rumen fermentation, campylobacter in chickens, probiotics to improve animal production and use of strategies to combat antibiotic resistant veterinary infections.
With a 36 page CV and over 200 papers and presentations, here is a very small sampling of Athol’s published work:
- Mukhopadhya, I., S. Morais, J. Laverde-Gomez, P.O. Sheridan, A.W. Walker, W. Kelly, A.V. Klieve, D. Ouwerkerk, S.H. Duncan, P. Louis, N. Koropatkin, E. Crost, N. Juge, E.A. Bayer and H.J. Flint. 2017. How Ruminococcus bromii achieves success as a nutritional specialist in the mammalian gut. Nature Microbiology (In preparation).
- Seshadri, R., S.C. Leahy, G.T. Attwood et al. 2017. A reference genome set for the ruminant microbiome. Nature Biotechnology (In preparation).
- . Le, O.T., P.J. Dart, K. Harper, D. Zhang, B. Schofield, M.J. Callaghan, A.T. Lisle, A.V. Klieve and D.M. McNeill. 2017. Effect of probiotic Bacillus amyloliquefaciens strain H57 on productivity and the incidence of diarrhoea in dairy calves. Animal Production Science. 57:912-919.
- Le, O.T., B. Schofield, P.J. Dart, M.J. Callaghan, A.T. Lisle, D. Ouwerkerk, A.V. Klieve and D.M. McNeill. 2017. Production responses of reproducing ewes to a by-product-based diet inoculated with the probiotic Bacillus amyloliquefaciens strain H57. Animal Production Science. 57:1097-1105.
- O’Hara, P.J., A.V. Klieve, P.J. Murray, A.J. Maguire, D. Ouwerkerk, E.D. Martinez and K.J. Harper. 2016. Bacterial community structure in the gastrointestinal tract of the northern brown bandicoot, Isoodon macrourus. Australian Journal of Zoology. 64:48-60.
- Schofield, B.J., A. Skarshewski, N. Lachner, D. Ouwerkerk, A.V. Klieve, P. Dart and P. Hugenholtz. 2016. Near complete genome sequence of the animal feed probiotic, Bacillus amyloliquefaciens H57. Standards in Genomic Sciences. 11:60; DOI 10.1186/s40793-016-0189-z.
- Klieve, A.V., D. Ouwerkerk, R.A. Gilbert, L-M Gulino and S. Godwin. 2014. Queensland Enteric Methane Hub Final Report. State Government of Queensland.
- Klieve, A.V., K.J. Harper, E.D. Martinez and D. Ouwerkerk. 2012. Increasing productivity and reducing methane emissions by supplementary feeding with dietary lipids. Final report to Meat and Livestock Australia on RELRP project B. CCH. 1014.
- Finn, D., D. Ouwerkerk and A.V. Klieve. 2012. Methanotrophs from natural ecosystems as biocontrol agents for ruminant methane emissions. Final report to Meat and Livestock Australia on RELRP project B. CCH. 1013.